‘The Institute for Culture and History (ICH) & the Department of History, Archaeology and Area Studies of the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) currently have a vacancy for a post-doctoral researcher (0,8 fte, three years) as part of the NWO project Religion Renegotiated: Faith-Based Organizations and the State in the Netherlands since the 1960s – Public Debate, supervised by Prof. dr. James Kennedy, conducted in close collaboration with Mr. dr. Hans-Martien ten Napel at Leiden University. Applications are now invited from excellent candidates with max. two years experience after obtaining their PhD who wish to conduct research on the changing relationship of church-state relations in the Netherlands since the 1960s and situate it in a broader transnational context.
The postdoctoral scholar responsible for this project will investigate public discourses in the Netherlands in respect to the place of faith-based organizations, and the task of government in regulating or supporting them. For example, to what extent did the call for individual freedom, non-discrimination and self-emancipation alter existing rights (or privileges) of existing faith-based organizations? Data-mining from digital sources will be a crucial component of this research.
Tasks will include:
- completion of a monograph within three years;
- regular presentation of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences, and publications in proceedings and journals;
- close collaboration with the other researchers of the group (including on issues not directly connected to one’s own project, incl. the organization of conferences and joint publications);
- assisting the appointed PhD candidate in the research is also expected.
- A doctoral degree in a relevant field, such as history, religious studies, law or the social sciences;
- good academic writing and presentation skills;
- good social and organizational skills;
- proficiency in Dutch and English. Working knowledge of other languages is of additional value.
The postdoctoral candidate (with max two years of experience after obtaining PhD) will be appointed for 0,8 fte for a period of three years at the Faculty of Humanities beginning 1 December 2013.’
For additional information, see www.academictransfer.com/19640.